The Top 10 Restaurants in Vienna
Dec 7 , 2011
There are countless restaurants in Vienna to choose from. Whether you're craving traditional Viennese cuisine or an authentic Italian dish, you'll find an excellent array of options in this gastronomic capital. Check out this list of the top ten spots to dine in Vienna.
1. Altwienerhof: This chic spot resides in a building that was originally used as a private home in the 1800s. With an ever-changing menu featuring German and Austrian cuisine, diners will find new and fresh choices upon every visit. Can’t decide? Try the chef’s tasting menu, which samples the kitchen’s best dishes each night. An impressive wine list boasts more than 700 choices, so you will be sure to find the perfect one to pair with your meal.
2. Palmenhaus: Surrounded by a glasshouse filled with foliage, diners will indulge in Austrian fare with a twist -- think dishes like herring with sour cream or beignets with cabbage. When you need a break from goulash, make a visit to the Palmenhaus cafe, a delightfully different option.
3. Martin Stein: A Michelin star winner, this spot is one of the most renowned restaurants in Vienna. Run by a husband and wife team, this lovely dining establishment serves up fresh seasonal dishes that rival those in the best restaurants around the world.
4. Aux Gazelles Brasserie: Though the more traditional restaurants in Vienna abound, one night you might want an exotic departure from the local norm. In this case, visit Aux Gazelles Brasserie, a French-Moroccan fusion restaurant. This atmospheric brasserie serves excitingly creative fare, including everything from Moroccan specialties like couscous with lamb to French treats like orange creme brulee.
5. Lubin: For excellent fresh seafood and fish dishes try Lubin, an off-the-beaten-path favorite with a Croatian influence. Though it’s location is not ideal, the spot more than makes up for the commute with top-notch service and unique cuisine.
6. Walter Bauer: There are just a few restaurants in Vienna that have been recognized by the world-famous Michelin guide, and this is one of them. Walter Bauer is an upscale, family-run restaurant that has been serving up fantastic dishes for more than 20 years. If you’re ready to treat yourself, make sure to stop here.
7. Vinoteca Tropea: Wherever you are in the world, a well-prepared Italian dish is sure to please. One of the best restaurants in Vienna for Italian fare is Vinoteca Tropea, an unassuming, comfortable hole-in-the-wall. Try the antipasti -- it’s to die for.
8. Steirereck: Among all the restaurants in Vienna, this is one that stands out above the rest. Located within a beautiful art deco building in the city center, this restaurant promises spot-on service, extraordinary gastronomy and perfect wine pairings. Finish off your meal with a choice from over 70 cheeses from the Steirereck cheese cellar.
9. Novelli: With all the goulash and meat dishes in Vienna, vegetarians may feel a little deflated. Not at Novelli. Dishes -- including an array of delicious veggie options -- are carefully prepared and elegantly presented. Oh, yea... it got a Michelin star, too.
10. Plachutta: Flawless service, hefty portions, and traditional cuisine -- that’s what you’ll find at local outpost, Plachutta. Of all the time-honored restaurants in Vienna, this is a must-visit for their tafelspitz, a customary Viennese beef dish. This one may put a dent in your wallet, but it will be worth it.
Before you try the best restaurants in Vienna, brush up on your knowledge of Viennese cuisine.